top of page


Wednesday was a funny day. Had a really tight deadline to meet by 13:00. By 15:00 found out we had to do a conference call with Italy at 16:30. Did the call – had to hold the receiver at least three foot away from my ear as the person on the other end was bellowing down the line. My ear was actually numb by the end of the call.

By 17:30 we had got the job – flew out the next morning at 07:00. That was after I had hastily tied everything else up at work, suffered 40 mins of the North London link with an asthma attack (prob stress induced). Got home in time to see my son and watch him doing chocolate-induced and incessant Balloo the Bear impressions until he literally collapsed in bed at half past eight. Made dinner, ordered online shopping for delivery in two days time, ironed clothes, packed, paid bills online and opened the remainder of post which has been in a pile on the table unopened all week. Wrote out instructions for the childminder of how to get to Marble Hill Park. Left out a parking ticket appeal form for the other half with a note saying FILL OUT AND SEND TODAY. Went to bed and fell asleep. Woke up at 02:30 to the sound of really annoying milk van (sherman tank) idling outside bedroom window. Had a panic thinking it was my taxi and convinced the two alarm clocks were wrong. Finally got back into bed and couldn’t sleep. Got up at a quarter to five – just as I was going back to sleep! Looking a little crumpled. Piled into taxi with driver that really wanted a chat – I didn’t. Checked in, swiftly followed by person I am working with who has a fit because there was no time to pre-register his gold cardholder air miles number and he therefore hasn’t got the seat he is always allocated. Nightmare. At six thirty in the morning this is as bad as it gets. I tell him he is really rude as he questions out loud why he has anyone working for him at all ie: me! I offer to change his seat. He will do it himself. This throws me out and I wander into the wrong bit of the lounge and cannot talk to him or anyone else for that matter. He comes looking for me and I can see he thinks I am really stupid. Feel even more belittled than I felt ten minutes previously. We sit in silence. I go in search of a new toothbrush as I can’t bear the tension. Finally, get on plane and feel really emotional – consider freaking out and leaving plane before they shut the doors but stay put meanwhile dreading the next few days.

Finally arrive in Milan – handbag centre of the world. It’s great here despite the fact we are filming on Monday and still don’t have a location. This predicament is further worsened by the fact that it is a public holiday and no one is in town to even give us permission to see their house let alone shoot in it.

Oh well, it will all work out in end. Back on Thursday. Will post some more then.

Recent Posts

See All

We Are Family

Two years ago today I won an Award of Merit for a tiny black and white film I directed and shot with Super Producer and all round music genius Nile Rodgers. The film was made before Nile went triple s


bottom of page